Do you remember that ad for the butter substitute with the tag line "I can't believe it's not butter!"? I recently found myself saying the same thing as I was reading the list of ingredients for 'real' butter. I discovered most butter sold in major supermarkets only has a small percentage of 'butter' in their product. I was shocked. How could I have been so naive and assumed all these years when I was buying butter, well, that I actually wasn't?
Next time you're in the supermarket see for yourself. There will be a percentage of butter (the most I found was 74%), then usually another oil, emulsifiers, preservatives, salt, water, vitamins, butter milk and so on.
Don't get too comfortable with your foods and don't assume you are getting what you think. Label reading is, at times, dull and tedious, but also eye opening.
The good news is it made me research how easy it would be to make my own butter at home. Turns out it is very easy. Cream and salt(optional), beat for 10 minutes till it curdles, drain butter milk and hey presto, 100% honest to goodness butter. And the taste is divine.

No comments:
Post a Comment